5 Basic Swedish Massage Technique
When people steps into the massage clinic, the most common massage technique they request is swedish massage. This is also recommended for beginners. Swedish massage therapy relaxes the entire body, reducing stress and increase the feeling of well being. A massage therapist uses lotion or oil with 5 basic swedish strokes that are applied with light to medium pressure depending on the client's request.
Below are the five basic strokes in swedish massage, this can be in any order depending on what is best for the client's needs.
- is more on long sliding, gliding and sweeping strokes with the use of forearms, relatively slow and smoothing strokes used for spreading oil. In effleurage movement is usually repeated several times to induce relaxation of muscle.
- "petri" which means "to knead". This technique is like kneading a dough. The kneading, rolling, and squeezing strokes stimulates the nerve endings, getting rid of impure substance in the muscle and increase circulation this then will promote cell repair.
- is an oscillatory movements that shake and vibrates the body. This movement can be done rapidly or slowly. Vibration technique gradually releases tension in the muscle being worked on.
- this technique can be done by rubbing back and forth. The movement creates heat, warming up muscles in the body to be treated for deep massage technique.
- this is a rhythmic tapping, pounding and patting of the body. The motion is like drumming, you produce should with your hands by cupping, hacking, and chopping. This technique is usually used as the last technique in a massage session.